Thread: Lockdown fever

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Off of the net:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmv58Z3RZ9c

I assessed the likelihood of hydrogen embrittlement, but to be honest, the main load bearing parts (piston latch, trigger mechanism) are not blued and the rest is under minimal load and force, so I've accepted that the rest is going to be perfectly safe (I probably wouldn't use this for pcp cylinders though).

For the scholars amongst us, this is taken directly from the HSE guidance:

4 The phenomenon known as hydrogen cracking requires both a corrosive environment and tensile stresses to be present.
    5 Cracking can occur in two ways:
    ■■ The hydrogen generated at the surface of a tensile-loaded, high-strength steel can enter the material lattice and embrittle the steel, increasing its susceptibility to failure by dynamic loading (shock loading). This is known as hydrogen embrittlement (HE).
    ■■ The hydrogen can migrate and congregate in tensile-stressed regions and cause cracks to grow progressively. This is sometimes referred to as hydrogenassisted cracking (HAC).

Oh I like that! As someone else has already said, messing around for hours fuming with brick acid takes up a good day just waiting for rust to form, that salt and peroxide mix really does the business.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning22 View Post
    Oh I like that! As someone else has already said, messing around for hours fuming with brick acid takes up a good day just waiting for rust to form, that salt and peroxide mix really does the business.
    A tip I picked up quickly is that the reaction is speeded up with heat, so as a final degrease, I boiled the parts for 15mins before commencing the first application of the rusting solution. From then on, you're only applying the solution to a hot component.

Well all back together now and fired a couple of test shots. Heavy trigger and haven't checked power but it's not too bad. (excuse the retaining screws not in as I need to get the barrel off again to shim the breech seal and I still need a rear sight)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    protek do a very cheap (less than a tenner) rearsight that fits the meteor and has the same lateral dovetail fitment.. I can measure mine if you want ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    protek do a very cheap (less than a tenner) rearsight that fits the meteor and has the same lateral dovetail fitment.. I can measure mine if you want ?
    Yes please John

I'm waiting on Protek to open as they seem to be the best likely source.