Thread: Best sight for hft

Best sight for hft

I please could someone advise what is the best all round shops for hft, that does not break the bank

Cheers Steve

EB / Tasco / Nikko 10x42 was the scope to use years back, available for around £150 secondhand - but to be honest I know plenty of shooters who use whatever they personally like and obtain brilliant scores (my mate uses a standard duplex reticle 10x Tasco and usually clears up at the local FT shoot, competing against lads using March/S&B/Sightron etc).
    Pick one you like, get to know the aimpoints but most of all practise your range finding would be my advice.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

I'd say don't follow the herds, find something that works for you

a long time ago (~'07) I bought a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40, generally people claimed them to be good but it just didn't work for me both in glass / vision and ret
    prior to that I had an EB Optimate 10x42 side px adjustment(the so-called 'sniper'), worked all right but if looking into shadow or darkness then it was all guesswork as the milldots didn't exist
    followed that with a Tasco SS 10x42 rear px adjustment (what the EB was a copy of) and this was a diferent animal - better quality altogther
    then I discovered Burris (but thats another story)

I don't shoot comps anymore but still have my rifles, use them for rattin now......

Rich.
    Rich. https://i.imgur.com/6sXOoGi.jpg my MPR's & mk1 TX200
    repeat Burris owner (now have 8)

There can't be a 'best' as everyone's eyes are different. All we can do is guide you to what parameters you should be looking for.

As the other two have indicated, most people use 10x scopes (or zoom scopes set to 10x). You don't want more than a 40mm objective, 44 at the absolute max. If you have more than 10x mag and/or 44mm objective the depth of field becomes too shallow and it becomes very difficult (impossible!) to set the scope so you can see close, middle and far targets clearly enough. A bit of blur on the long shots can help as a rangefinder but not so much that you can't see where the kill-zone (or even the target) is!

Mil-dots help a lot and half mil-dots help a bit more.

It doesn't really matter if the scope has a 25mm or 30mm tube. The only difference it makes is that 30mm gives more windage and elevation adjustment. But if you're running out of adjustment you probably have a different problem that needs sorting.

Happy shopping!

Steve,

For HFT, I have used the side-focus Tasco Super Sniper (SS) 10x42M (bought this in the 1990s - this was the fore-runner of the SWFA 10x42 'scopes), and the Hawke Sidewinder 30 10x42.

The SS 10x42 has had countless thousands of 0.308W (ca. 10,000) under its belt and probably double that number of pellets, and is still going strong.

Both 'scopes, for me, performed superbly on my TX200.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ