Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
No it doesn’t the Woodpigeons one states that you must have tried non lethal methods, must be able to provide proof that you have done so and must continue doing so whilst lethal methods are pursued!!! This is the crux of it, the old licence you had to be satisfied non lethal methods would not be successful now you must PROVE they are not. Very, very different kettles if fish!

d)
e)
Before using the licence reasonable endeavours must have been made to resolve the problem using the lawful methods identified in Table 1 (unless their use would be impractical, without effect or disproportionate in the circumstances) and any other lawful methods that may be appropriate in the circumstances.
Reasonable endeavours must continue to be made to resolve the problem using such appropriate lawful methods alongside use of the licence.

Any person using this licence must be able to show, if asked by an officer of Natural England or the Police:
(i) what type of crop any action under this licence is protecting;
(ii) what lawful methods have been, and are being, taken to prevent serious damage to such crops by woodpigeon or why the lawful methods have not been taken;
(iii) what measures have been and are being taken to minimise losses due to other species and causes; and

In fact reading that again point (iii) means you are leaving yourself open to prosecution if you have covered all the other conditions so shooting the pigeons but are for example not shooting the hares that are also feeding on the crop! That rules put shooting avian pest species on about 3200 acres for me as the estate don’t want the hares shot. Hates being in very high numbers, I have seen over 30 in one field on several occasions

Who really wants to be a test case to find out what the acceptable reasons for non lethal methods not being practical are? Not me that’s for sure!
OK well 1/. that is the wood pigeon version not Feral pigeon, & 2/. if it's hugely expensive & you can't afford it, then both impractical or disproportionate would be covered