Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BSA Lightning XL Tactical

kes what is the recoil like on this rifle? how acurate is it out to 40 yards?

Quote Originally Posted by hollow-point View Post
    kes what is the recoil like on this rifle? how acurate is it out to 40 yards?
    You have PM Dave.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

Not Kes, but imo, recoil is minimal, especially when you consider it's light weight.When I shoot my .22 12Ftp, I ónly see a slight vibration in my scope, that's ALL!
    ATB,
    yana

Never fired or even seen the tactical in the flesh, or plastic, , but in pics that trigger looks like a Gamo. Theres info on the BBS about inproving thses quite easily, using some bushing material.Apparantly does away with one of the springs, which lightens the pull weight. Try a search. The looks are warming on me, theres something about it that remind me of the the Steyr scout rifle ( dimensions fit almost aswell.....Jeff Cooper said that a scout rifle should be 1m long, 3kg in weight. About 6.6 pound, 40", so not far out). reviews seem favourable. Maybe try one at the CLA. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by kram245 View Post
    Never fired or even seen the tactical in the flesh, or plastic, , but in pics that trigger looks like a Gamo.
    fortunately the lightning XL/tactical don't use the Gamo trigger.
    on every action comes a reaction

Thanks Bart, thats encouraging. I was looking at the advert in the latest AGW and it looked suspiciously like a Gamo trigger, also i believe there is some tie-in with BSA and Gamo? Thanks for clearing that up, regards, mark

Yeah, they're together now. I asked the BSA importer here when I bought it wether it was a Gamo trigger. He said no.I guess it's more like the other BSA springers (SuperSport?Goldstar?)
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by kram245 View Post
    also i believe there is some tie-in with BSA and Gamo?
    Gamo have owned BSA for a good number of years now.

it's just the standard trigger like in the supersport/ Lightning the only thing is the supersport/lightning is single stage, and the XL is two stage, there only two other parts in the trigger mechanism that makes it a two stage, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yesterday I decided it was time to remove the scope rail, to polish the piston, it's a real big improvement, it does cock smoother then before.

The scoperail isn't that hard to remove or to place it back.
    you need a dowel or a broom handle and a hammer then slam it of, here's a tip so you don't damage anything, tape the cylinder of with ducktape.
    Last edited by b@rt; 08-02-2008 at 03:40 PM.
    on every action comes a reaction

so what makes the tactical any better than the other lightnings?
    is it same trigger , internals , etc .

anyone

Tactical and Lightning XL indeed are the same technically, only the Tactical has the cooler looking stock
    The normal Lightning has a more boring stock and a lesser trigger iirc, and not a full length barrelshroud/silencer.
    ATB,
    yana

Will Tactical Stock Fit a Spitfire HF.

Hello all.

I have an idea to fit the Tactical stock to my Spitfire HF Carbine. Apart from the lack of a hole for the fill probe, does anyone know if, other than this & the removal of the Spitfires metal trigger guard, would this be possible?

Cheers all!
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Got myself a Tactical yesterday, a 5.5 12Ftp.
    Some specs:
    OAL: 37' iirc, 99cm
    barrel: 10"
    weight 2.75k
    That shorter and way lighter than my Evo, it's pcp weight actually!
    The barrel is from BSA, cold hammered, has 12 grooves and a 1:19' rifling. Usually BSAbarrels are pretty good.
    The action is blued, the quality is ok but less than my Theobens/Webleys. The manufacturingstripes can still be seen, the polishing is less. It makes mé think about the Gamo's I've seen. But that's good enough for the main purpose of this rifle: a hunting tool.It has a full-length silencer/shroud, prefitted for sling-swivels.It has the Maxigrip dovetail fitted ónto the action. Yes, ón, not ín. It seems to be a strange size, 13.9mm, but many normal mounts will fit if you can turn them around. The Maxigrip has some shockabsorbing qualities; kinda like a Dampa rail.The rear screw simultaneously acts as a scopestop. It lóóks like it's not possible to fit large scopes due to the compact action.It has a manual safety.

The stock is synthetic and looks GREAT.Also great for hunting. It has additional grippanels on pistolgrip and forend. It also has a thumb-up position.

It's very easy to unlock tha barrel. But it shóuld be ok, BSA uses a patented barrel latch to ensure perfect barrel alignment. Cocking is easy.The cockinglink has NO play and looks very sturdy.

The trigger is a 2stage unit, adjustable for weight.It was pretty heavy at first. After lubing and a half turn adjustment it's far better now.Good enough for some testwork.I think the trigger is about Theoben Evo quality.
    The first stage díd feel kinda rough;probably a rough 1st stage spring.
    Bút, very important, NO creep!
    When shooting there's NO twang either, just a twak.Looks like the BSA is internally of high quality, with tight fitting guides.
    It's also more quiet than my Evo so it seems.
    There áre tuningkits and rams available for it. But I don't think it's a DIYjob; the Maxigrip rail has to come off iirc, and it's pressed on it seems. Not easy to remove or replace. Removing probably also requires new rubbers underneath it.
    It's available in .177, .22 ánd .25. In FAC as well, giving 15/16/18Ftp.
    There áre differnces with the normal Lightning and Lightning XL:
    Lightning: beech stock, looks very boring, no chequering, no full-length silencer/shroud, less trigger.
    Lightning XL: has the better trigger, better looking beech stoch with chequering.
    It's very light and compact, it shoulders fast. That combined wih the all-weather stock makes it a perfect hunting or HFT tool imo!

+ LOOKS!
    + no creep in trigger
    + no cockinglinkplay
    +no springtwang

- blueing
    Do you think a left handed shooter could shoot the Tactical without any problems? Does the silencer make it very quiet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blakes View Post
    Do you think a left handed shooter could shoot the Tactical without any problems? Does the silencer make it very quiet?

Thanks
    My mates a lefty and he used it no bother,however it is a predominatley right handed, atb Richard

the spring noise cannot be heard at 10 yards

the silenser is so quiet from this range all you here is the pellet hitting the target

this really is a great rifle and i would recommend it for all your hunting needs