Thread: the postman always rings twice...

the postman always rings twice...

hey up

been awaiting a package for over a week, i did a swap, my king rattie for an original 50, .177cal, been biting me nails a lot thinking it had disappeared as my rattie was with it's new owner on sunday (didn't think they delivered on sundays)
    anyhow it arrived today- as rusty as buggery, the whole package seemed like it had been chucked in the nearest river- it was soaking wet

the surface rust will come off with some 000 grade wire wool soaked in gunoil (if i can find the oil)

a kwik and durty pic

love these originals, a mate at work has my last one (50 type 01) don't think he'll part with it, i let it go for £60- damn near mint too

this 'un is the ball sear trigger, it feels great and shoots superbly....

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

wet post

i had an S16 delivered last week, exactly the same absolutely soaking wet, fortunately no rust.

John,

Congrats on the new 50 from a newb from the far north! They're great guns.

I have a Diana 50 as well, an older one though. Mine does not have a serial number or a production date stamped anywhere, but according to some guys on the Vintage airgun forum the trigger is first model, but the trigger guard is earlier, similar to a pre-war Model 35. That would date my rifle to 1952 or 1953.

Some pics of my Model 50:

There's quite a lot of fine rust but I'm somehow loath to remove it - I kind of think a 50+ years old rifle can allowed to have some signs of past life and usage.

Cheers,

-Topi

Quote Originally Posted by Topi View Post
    John,

Congrats on the new 50 from a newb from the far north! They're great guns.

I have a Diana 50 as well, an older one though. Mine does not have a serial number or a production date stamped anywhere, but according to some guys on the Vintage airgun forum the trigger is first model, but the trigger guard is earlier, similar to a pre-war Model 35. That would date my rifle to 1952 or 1953.

Some pics of my Model 50:

There's quite a lot of fine rust but I'm somehow loath to remove it - I kind of think a 50+ years old rifle can allowed to have some signs of past life and usage.

Cheers,

-Topi
    hello topi

i had one almost identical to yours but it was marked gecado, i found out from the net that guns designated for the US were marked gecado, mine had a very slim stock and an aluminium trigger blade , i was a fool for letting it go as i love the original/diana guns (diana not to be confused with the dianas)
    the stock on this one seems big and very similar to the type 01 that i had but that one had the later trigger with the rod through the trigger and stock....

regards, john

almost forgot to say.... welcome to the forum (can't wait to see pics of your other guns

ps, original 35 is on my wish list (when i get back to work)

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

ps, original 35 is on my wish list (when i get back to work)
    Hi John,
    Last year I purchased a Original 35 of similar period to the 50 you mention off DM80 who had recently serviced it. What a nice gun.
    I also own a Original 50 B which looks like someone has been practicing chequering on the stock and fore end but Im sure this is standard. Of the few 50B and one 35B I have seen they have all been in .22 cal. Strange when I consider .177 to be the target shooting calibre.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Hi John,
    Last year I purchased a Original 35 of similar period to the 50 you mention off DM80 who had recently serviced it. What a nice gun.
    I also own a Original 50 B which looks like someone has been practicing chequering on the stock and fore end but Im sure this is standard. Of the few 50B and one 35B I have seen they have all been in .22 cal. Strange when I consider .177 to be the target shooting calibre.

ATB
    Ian
    hi ian

i had a look at your 35b, must say it looks very nice but different somehow to the one that is in wesley's book....

my other two 50's were both .22 but of late i seem to be erring towards .177 for my favourite caliblre (trajectory not as pronounced)

john

well, i just had a look at wesley's book and the 35b does look the same- in the book the stock looks darker in colour and it has a peep sight fitted

ps, i had a look at your 45's again (your pics inspired me to get one!!)....

hey there, is it just me or is this the longest rifle i've ever seen?

Quote Originally Posted by scoza View Post
    hey there, is it just me or is this the longest rifle i've ever seen?

naw, my old hw35 export was longer...

this is an earlier pic, the 5th gun from the left is a 50, the next but one to the right is the hw35e (there's not much in it tho'

john

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    hi ian

i had a look at your 35b, must say it looks very nice but different somehow to the one that is in wesley's book....
    john
    I don't actually own a 35B. Ive only seen one for sale and that was too expensive at £250 for its condition.
    I have the more common 50B with its dark beech stock and chequering exercise.

One of my '45s is in the rare .20 cal and the other a pre modified trigger variant.

The HW35 Export with its 22" barrel must be the longest airgun every produced - unless someone knows different.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk