Who says your rifle wasn't? Early tunes were just that with maybe the port opened up a tad and a top hat and a few washers. (I'll be happy to be corrected on this). Maybe someone snitched the innards? Do you have a picture?
I prefer to see the old style sticker, but then you might get any combination of tune. Then the Webley partnership! The history of the Gun Trade is full of broken partnerships.

I think we have all been "had" when starting out collecting. Wow don't we all like tinkering with our rifles!!! Price is whatever you think its worth to you, and selling whatever you think you can get away with... ask any gunshop. No worse than second hand cars!! Thankfully, the market is pretty solid and if asking for a premium then it could be a long wait or very fast if thats what someone wants having got tired of looking. Some have the cash and not the time, but the pleasure is still higher than the price tag. Some relish getting a bargain above the actual merits of the rifle. The time sourcing examples for the collection far out weighs any monetary value. Its the fun of the hunt and joy of ownership for a while. Break even and you have done well.

Anyhow it would be nice if some real Venom enthusiasts gave their penny's worth. My knowledge really isn't good enough.

Old picture:
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...IMG_3971_2.jpg