Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-badged pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeam View Post
    Got a new tin of .22 JSB Express the other day. Of 10 random sample pellets, every single one of 'em was 5.52. I know 10 out of 500 isn't many, but I thought that was pretty consistent myself.

Peter
    I use a "PelletGage" to measure pellets, but I only have the .177 version. If you're using veri-nears to measure the head diameter, this link explains why that isn't accurate. Although it's also a review of the PelletGage so it may not be entirely impartial.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2015/...etgage-part-1/

(It works so well, I even forgive them for not being able to spell Gauge)
    Last edited by Brian.Samson; 11-04-2016 at 09:30 PM.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    The pellet gauge looks interesting. He has a point about the pellets tipping in a micrometer. Just don't know if it's a $49 point

Pete
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    The pellet gauge looks interesting. He has a point about the pellets tipping in a micrometer. Just don't know if it's a $49 point

Pete
    I don't remember paying $49 for mine, I thought it was about £25 delivered?

In part 4 he does an accuracy test (he did one in part 3 as well, but his test was flawed so he re-did it).

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2015/...etgage-part-4/

Quite interesting results - by sorting pellets by head size and shooting a 10 shot group at 25 yards he went from a 20mm group to a 6mm group.

If ultimate accuracy is what you're interested in - perhaps a bench rest shooter? then $49 seems like a good investment if it works.

These are now available from Intershoot but £45 is what they charge. Could be worth it I guess, hmmm.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

I always thought Air Arms and JSB Exact were the same. But the 2 tins I compared (no not every pellet in 2 tins ) showed the head sizes of the JSBs were much more consistent

Pete
    I believe that AA have their own dies at the JSB factory, besides this both the exact and the AA field are very similar.

A.G

I sometimes wonder how many of those who get so retentive about head sizes and batch numbers actually possess the marksmanship skills to be able to differentiate...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    It is curious isn't it. That information is 2nd hand information from someone who went on a factory tour of AA and that's what they were told. JSB do a small run with a die, then check the pellets for accuracy and weight. If it fails the test, they try a different insert and test again.

There seems to be around 3 different design of skirt insert being used from what I've seen.That does make sense, and I guess it ties in with reports you hear from time to time when people say they seem to be getting more dented skirts in a tin than normal. If a mixture of lead has a higher lead content, they may need to use a deeper insert in order to bring the weight down to 8.4 grains and that might explain why the skirts are a softer lead and thinner skirt wall and therefore are more prone to getting damaged in transit.

The other worrying thing is that the accuracy testing is carried out on an indoor range - so the decision to change the skirt insert doesn't seem to take account of how well that design performs in the wind.
    I once had a tin of JSB Jumbo Express .22. It was not performing as I had come to expect. I also noticed that the MV was lower than my memory recalled. When I compared the pellets with an older tin it became apparent that the design of the back of the pellet was totally different to the older one. It was less deep and had a larger cross section inside. When I bought a new batch some time later it was back to normal. The odd one was from a small 200 pellet tin but all other pellets were in the 500 pellet tins.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    I sometimes wonder how many of those who get so retentive about head sizes and batch numbers actually possess the marksmanship skills to be able to differentiate...
    I wonder the same thing about many shooting things. just because you measure it does not necessarily mean it matters. I cast a hundred bullets for a fellow shooting a 32-40 out of a custom mold of mine. His rifle had not yet arrived but he measured them and said the size was about .0002 undersized (yes two ten thousands ) and would shoot the best in this particular barrel. He sent them back with money for my time. You just can't stop that kind of person.

There's a particular gentleman popular in the USA forums that only report velocitys and uniformity of his guns but you can never pin him down to shoot a group. But boy does he have fancy charts and all!

And thank you for all the info about air arms owning particular JSB dies. I've noticed a small difference in pellet shape but it could be lot to lot variation I don't know. I have good days and bad days and sometimes it's really hard to sort it out.
    Last edited by Harrympope; 12-04-2016 at 04:56 AM.
    G A Damron V ,the vegatarian varmint destroyer.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    So should .177 JSB exacts go through my Prosport about the same as the AA version? I want to stock pile some for later use and hopefully can get away with not paying £11 for a tin of AA's from my local gun shop, I can't see AA pellets mentioned on any of the German suppliers sites but JSB's are and are a hell of a lot cheaper than over here.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    So should .177 JSB exacts go through my Prosport about the same as the AA version? I want to stock pile some for later use and hopefully can get away with not paying £11 for a tin of AA's from my local gun shop, I can't see AA pellets mentioned on any of the German suppliers sites but JSB's are and are a hell of a lot cheaper than over here.

Pete
    My supplier was out of the jsb exact 8.44 so I bought the air arms brand 8.44. While I did not measure them the fit in the breech was noticeable looser and they did not shoot as well in my lgv or hw80.
    G A Damron V ,the vegatarian varmint destroyer.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I believe that AA have their own dies at the JSB factory, besides this both the exact and the AA field are very similar.

A.G
    AA have used these dies over the past couple of years : 34, 31, 29, 27, 21, 18, 14, 12, 10, 9, 5, 2
    Some of those die numbers are also branded as JSB Exact - whether they're the same die or duplicate die numbers, I can't say for sure.

If you buy any pellet made by JSB - there will be a variation from die to die and also in the skirt insert they use for that batch.

It's impossible to say whether a pellet will be good or bad based on the branding on the tin.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I have found little difference in group sizes between JSB Exact & the AA. But if there was a flyer it was with the AA. The fit into the barrel of my TX200 was much more consistent with the JSB
    Pete
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticboy View Post
    That's a bit worrying as it will change the centre of gravity position and the moments of inertia even if the mass is kept the same. The change in centre of gravity position will change the aerodynamic moments which may change the basic pellet characteristics most of which seem to be marginal to start with. I have noticed in the past that some of the published photos of sectioned pellets have shown completely different profiles internally when they are supposed to be the same pellet.
    Which could be why I have 2 MOA between 50m poi between several batches despite the muzzle velocity bring the same. I'll have to look closely at the shape. Certainly the 8.4 selects fall lower than the 8.4gn exacts. Many have seen this so its not a barrel thing.

I have found little difference in group sizes between JSB Exact & the AA. But if there was a flyer it was with the AA. The fit into the barrel of my TX200 was much more consistent with the JSB
    Pete
    Highly likely that you just happened to find a batch of JSB that suited and a batch of AA that didn't. Unless of course you're saying that you tested all 36 different designs of AA against about the same number of variation of JSB.

There are so many variations within a brand that it's impossible to predict how well a pellet will shoot based solely on the sticker on the tin.

If you went out tomorrow and bought a random tin of JSB and a random tin of AA Fields - you may very well find the complete opposite is true.

H and N Baracuda Match are re branded as Bisley mags