Thread: The Original Diana 45 Import Dates...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

The Original Diana 45 Import Dates...

I know I have brought this up before, and was soundly corrected on the date of the first introduction of the Original Diana 45 break barrel air rifle, which I think was in 1978, BUT now I want to know when it was introduced into the UK.

It's just my perception of it was it was introduced into the UK some time in 1980 or 1981. While it was being made and presumably sold elsewhere, it was not being sold in the UK.

Or was it?

My memory says that only the 35 and 50 were being sold in any numbers before 1980, and that the 45 was not imported until after then. Or was it too expensive, or ignored or not detuned enough for the Home Office? Why wasn't it wiping the floor with the FWB Sport and the HW35 and the early Vulcan?

If it WAS sold from 1978, then why were there so few references to it in AGW?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I know I have brought this up before, and was soundly corrected on the date of the first introduction of the Original Diana 45 break barrel air rifle, which I think was in 1978, BUT now I want to know when it was introduced into the UK.

It's just my perception of it was it was introduced into the UK some time in 1980 or 1981. While it was being made and presumably sold elsewhere, it was not being sold in the UK.

Or was it?

My memory says that only the 35 and 50 were being sold in any numbers before 1980, and that the 45 was not imported until after then. Or was it too expensive, or ignored or not detuned enough for the Home Office? Why wasn't it wiping the floor with the FWB Sport and the HW35 and the early Vulcan?

Definitely introduced in 1978. But main market was the US, to compete with the FWB (Diana 35 and 50 sales over there were never strong). It may well have arrived here in any numbers a couple of years later. Just in time to compete against the HW80....

I don't have import dates but believe they did not arrive on British shores in numbers until 1980. There was a review in Airgun World's Airguns Test special in 1980 but not the previous year. By 1982 they were in stock in numbers by all accounts as a friend of mine bought one. Which gave it a few years before the HW77 and 80 arrived. It was probably the rifle that forced the HW rifles to be done.
    Tricky to get more info than that.

I have owned one dated '79 and BBS member Original 45 mentioned he had two dated 1978 on the previous, similar thread.
    I see no reason for a two year delay in releasing it to the UK market.
    Last edited by Drew451; 27-12-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Re-read old thread

The 45 I have is dated 0380 or march 1980.I read an old airgun world and it was advertised then in Dec 1979 so certain it was available to us at that time.My 45 was purchased from the chap who owned my shooting permission in 1982 for £10 it was weather beaten but shot well.It remained in my loft till last year when I refurbished it.

This was the late 70s. The internet didn’t exist. 95% of airgunners found out what was new from their local dealer. If he didn’t stock it, it didn’t exist. 5% found out from AGW. If they didn’t review it, or it wasn’t advertised, it didn’t exist.

On that basis, it is entirely possible that some 45s arrived via a couple of dealers in 78-79, but that wider awareness and availability kicked off a bit later.

So I agree with Muskett and Al, they were not widely known or available here until some time after 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post

Or was it?

I can't chip in to the thread on dates etc as my guns n reference material is not with me.

But I do recall a wager of a dram of malt whisky being won on the basis of import dates some time ago?
    Has the wager been paid up yet I wonder? I'd wish I had won it as am quite partial to the stuff myself😊
    Dave

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I can't chip in to the thread on dates etc as my guns n reference material is not with me.

But I do recall a wager of a dram of malt whisky being won on the basis of import dates some time ago?
    Has the wager been paid up yet I wonder? I'd wish I had won it as am quite partial to the stuff myself😊
    Dave
    Er um yes, I will settle this in the New Year... am moving over the river soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I don't have import dates but believe they did not arrive on British shores in numbers until 1980. There was a review in Airgun World's Airguns Test special in 1980 but not the previous year. By 1982 they were in stock in numbers by all accounts as a friend of mine bought one. Which gave it a few years before the HW77 and 80 arrived. It was probably the rifle that forced the HW rifles to be done.
    Tricky to get more info than that.
    That's interesting, usually if it was a Boxall review (actually him firing it a few times then tearing it down and putting it back together) it was done in one of the monthly issues and then compiled into the Annual. So Muskett's intel it means it must have been reviewed in a 1979 magazine.

Just saw that 'Plinker's Notebook' in AGW reviewed the 45 in June 1980.. so it must have been reviewed more thoroughly before.

I just remember AGW being crazed about '12 foot-pounds' and as the 45 can comfortably exceed that I would have expected a bigger fuss about it, but as Geezer points out ignorance might have left it out in the cold for a while ...

I bought my Original 45 in .22 around mid to late '83.
    I seem to remember the Sporting Air Rifle magazine came out around then and the first review was of the RWS 45 in .20 calibre and that's what got me started down the .20 route.
    The 45 that I owned had the resettable safety at the back of the cylinder and was the bees knees.
    If it hadn't been stolen then I probably would have had a .20 calibre barrel fitted and had it tuned up as it was always compared to the HW80 but was lighter in weight and with the resettable safety
    As it was I then went down the HW80 .20 route and although never regretted it, still have a hankering after a 45 in .20 calibre

Atb
    Ed

The last batch of 45's were in .20. Late 80, maybe 1990??? They took an age to sell and were heavily discounted at the time. But then they really were old hat by then and everyone had moved on from bog standard springers.
    I remember that because I was sorely tempted to buy one just because of the price. Only put off because what does a .20 do better than a .177 or a .22 in a 12ft/lbs gun? And who wants a springer? I know, I know...I shoot springers now because they are interesting and tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Only put off because what does a .20 do better than a .177 or a .22 in a 12ft/lbs gun? And who wants a springer? I know, I know...I shoot springers now because they are interesting and tricky.
    The .20 offers a more elliptical trajectory and less cross-sectional impact area, so I would say it has no advantage in terms of target shooting or for hunting. It has its defenders of course, but I think it was invented by Sheridan to keep a monopoly on pellet sales for its pump and gas guns. Maybe it can be looked at as a more efficient .177, with softer recoil andat the expense of more critical range finding..

The .20 45 was sold with a small scope and no open sights, an odd package ...