Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
I concur on everything mentioned so far! And, I'd toss a descendant of the Hakim into the pile: the Anschutz 335 barrel-cocking sporter (also sold as the "Crosman Challenger 6500" in the US), with manually-locked breech.

There were two versions; the earlier one has a straight pull-out lock (Webley Omega-ish), the latter one an angled lever (like old [or new] Walther LGV) and an improved stock. I prefer the latter model.

The trigger, sights, and heavy 16mm barrel are as good as you would expect from this maker. There are many nice design details, but one that stood out to me was the breech leade design: a smooth-sided taper about 3mm long before the rifling begins. It's like a built-in sizer: pushing the pellet skirt just past the breech face rounds it out, seals it to the taper; and sets the head in the rifling. A VERY accurate and pellet-friendly rifle.

Leather piston seal and about 10 FPE power (I believe the piston, spring, and seal are in fact identical to the Hakim). Interestingly, the same power plant and trigger were used in the smaller model 333 ("Challenger 6300"), with simple slender stock and shorter, lighter, detent-locked barrel.

Some pics and further discussion here: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a...w-piston-seal/
I agree they are easy to overlook.

But they just aren’t quite as good as you’d expect an Anschutz to be.

They lack the uncanny accuracy and superb handling of the FWB Sport.

They have an annoying habit of breaking the welds on the cylinder lugs. I have one lying around that did that, and a replacement cylinder with intact welds, and at some point in the next decade I must build a rifle from them that works.

The trigger I think is OK, but not as special as you’d expect.

And the internals are finished more at the BSA/M&G level than a higher one.

They’re not bad, just a bit underwhelming given the brand.

The Worcester Black Powder Supplies Marauder of 1984-85, a custom stocked, tuned, 335 was one of the best though least well-known custom springers in the hey day of the classic custom springer.