Thread: New Webley Service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Service - nice, just that horrendous rearsight. Nothing wrong with making it scope-able, but 90% will want either a peepsight or regular opens.
    Why not have both as per the original.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Why not have both as per the original.
    yes, absolutely...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Certainly, it is not cheap at the price and most would desire it in blued gunmetal rather than stainless steel, I suspect. That would certainly be the case for those who wish to hunt with it. However, in addition to the remarks here, one must also consider the market more generally. Many collectors, who are in the minority, will want a similar sighting system to the old Mk2 or open sights that are as perfect and as sharp as possible. That said, a scope rail should be added: things have moved on from the '30s but, in addition, the majority shoot with a scope and to make a return on capital, their interests cannot be ignored.

What a wonderful and innovative team from Sterling: well done and it is splendid to bring air rifle innovation back to the UK again, from Germany. There is no reason why HW should lead the UK market forever.

Perhaps other old Webley designs could be taken and improved upon too: the Mk3 is a case in point. It had and still has a significant following here but also left much to be desired.

Fantastic work Sterling. Lots to love there.

Open sights on the MkII and a scope rail (bolt on the side to be removeable perhaps?).

Stainless, good call. Where do I sign?
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

As the barrel is not currently designed to be interchangeable, I am extremely disappointed.
    I can understand the thinking behind this, but it rather takes away one of the main characteristics of the Service rifle, and at the current estimated price it makes it an expensive half copy of the Mk.2 Webley Service Rifle, not to mention the lack of a peep sight.
    I realise the models currently on show are prototypes, but would suggest a bit more thought needs to go into this project before the rifle becomes available for sale.

I had a good chat with designer of the copy service rifle this morning before the show opened , the two prototypes are made from stainless, one fitted with a service stock, the other a gary cane stock, the barrel isnt interchangeable like the original or tapered, i asked them if they were going to fit steel sights and peep sight as per the original, but i think there going to stick with the alloy ones, also no aperture sight, which seems a shame, the production rifles are going to be blued, he is going to do a modified version and try to get 12ftbs, should be interesting to see if it works ok.
    Shaun

Was it worth the trouble, Ah, what trouble

As Cpt Bertarelli said,"wadda mistaka to maka!"

Never make a 'poor man's version" of anything! With airguns I've seen economy versions of BSA,Crosman,FAS,and FWB. Great turn-offs! Include all the 'Service' features....plus.

Sp Bertorelli

Ah, non removeable barrel has just killed it for me. Take note please Mr Sterling.

It’s part fiddle factor and part that it made a “compact” package stripped.
    Also, iron sights are ESSENTIAL imho.

I’ll stick to my original, maybe try and find a very sweet one for the same money.
    NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

Hi All,

Sterling Arms update

As you know the guns displayed at the British shooting show were prototypes. We thank you all for the honest feedback given on the rifles..

It has given us a great insight to see what potential customers want in a rifle!

Since then we have looked at and amended the designs.

In particular the design for the H-18.

Changes from the prototype so far are trigger, trigger adjustment, stock around the trigger area, Breech block styling, silencer and cocking bolt.

So only small changes really but nothing that changes the original concept of short, light and accurate and already beautiful rifle.

More information will be available on Wednesday.

But just so you guys know, the price hasn’t changed 👌

Cheers Adam
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model