Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A solution for which there is no problem whatsoever.....

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    just had a reread from another forum about the 11mm french revolver, it says the cylinder was very strong but the weakest part was the top strap which could take mild .45acp loads of around 800 bar.
    like everything else you will get numpties using excessive smokeless powder in these old bp revolvers which they do in the usa now.
    i was interested in the strength of the modern made uberti 1858.....i know the uberti says bp only for safety and to stop people using smokeless in them etc bu anyone know how strong they are ?
    Hi,

The Anvil conversion uses a standard Uberti Remington 1858 NMA frame, but the cylinder assembly is replaced with a completely new one having a fixed rear plate holding the firing pin and a revolving forward portion with the chambers rebated at the back thus lending greater strength to this part of the cylinder. The rebated portion of the chambers have been machined to dimensions that also provide visual confirmation that when full the recommended powder charge has not been exceeded. The complete gun is obviously subject to nitro proofing ensuring its safety when used with the recommended maximum load. The maximum recommended smokeless charge is very small and I would liken the felt recoil and report as being similar to that from a .38psl revolver with a target load.

Provided the maximum load of smokeless powder is not exceeded and soft lead balls are used rather that conical bullets the gun can be considered as safe for continual use without concern. I'm sure we are all fully aware that even small increases in these light smokeless charges can result in dangerous pressures, so extra care is needed when dispensing nitro powder.

Some research by the maker suggests that with these light loads using soft lead balls is preferable in terms of accuracy compared with the use of conical bullets.

Any attempt to use smokeless powder in a standard black powder revolver or exceeding the recommended loads in a nitro conversion would not only be extremely dangerous, but also subject to the law of diminishing returns making the whole thing utterly pointless

Brian

Faff

After seeing a guy at the club loading his Nitro conversion the faff involved is not worth it.
    If you think cleaning your Revolver is dirty messy then I would suggest a co2 Revolver is for you.
    Your totally right Tac.

Yup, to me, and I know it's going to p*ss some people off, having to put up with all this mess without the fun that comes from shooting HTG black powder is yet another reminder that as far as the UK government is concerned, the metallic cartridge never happened.

The rest of the world looks on in bafflement while we gently slide into shooting oblivion, without the excuse that the gunsmoke got into our eyes and blinded our way.

We can't even use the modern conversions in any kind of competition outside the UK - there are NONE for a nitro-propelled muzzle loader, since they only exist here on mainland UK.

cleaning my stainless steel 1858 is a doddle and to me is part of shooting it.
    At my club they had complaints of the smell and smoke of bp guns which is a minority to be fair and we had to use 777 or pyrodex.
    Now we can use bp again as long as its quiet but i was the newbies that was complaining, after all it is a gun club so you have to expect the noise and smoke.....we have new upgraded fans too

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    cleaning my stainless steel 1858 is a doddle and to me is part of shooting it.
    At my club they had complaints of the smell and smoke of bp guns which is a minority to be fair and we had to use 777 or pyrodex.
    Now we can use bp again as long as its quiet but i was the newbies that was complaining, after all it is a gun club so you have to expect the noise and smoke.....we have new upgraded fans too
    So you can shoot BP so long as it's quiet? Huh? How does that work out? Physics being physics and all that.....as for noobs complaining about the noise and smoke, well, imagine that, a gun club has noise and smoke - whooda thought it? JW.

I'll stick to BP and LOTS of noise and LOTS of smoke - perhaps your noobs would be better off with rubber-band guns, where permitted of course - those loud twangs must be really upsetting.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    So you can shoot BP so long as it's quiet? Huh? How does that work out? Physics being physics and all that.....as for noobs complaining about the noise and smoke, well, imagine that, a gun club has noise and smoke - whooda thought it? JW.

I'll stick to BP and LOTS of noise and LOTS of smoke - perhaps your noobs would be better off with rubber-band guns, where permitted of course - those loud twangs must be really upsetting.
    I think he meant quiet as in not busy.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    I think he meant quiet as in not busy.
    Ah, gotcha.......A not-busy gun club sounds like going to a rock concert and finding that you are the only one there. Still, each to his/her own, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by series2a View Post
    After seeing a guy at the club loading his Nitro conversion the faff involved is not worth it.
    If you think cleaning your Revolver is dirty messy then I would suggest a co2 Revolver is for you.
    Your totally right Tac.
    I acquired an Anvil nitro conversion revolver which is based on the same Uberti Remington 1858 revolver I currently still own and shoot due to the loss of our outdoor range and the subsequent restrictions placed on the use of muzzle loading revolvers on our now fullbore adapted indoor range.

Although I have now found another club locally with a suitable outdoor range I continue to shoot the nitro conversion as it actually involves less faff that the BP version. The nitro revolver can be loaded on-gun in just the same way as the standard Remington BP revolver without the need for fillers or grease and with the added advantage that the 209 shotgun primers used are both cheaper and easier to fit than the No11 caps used on the standard revolver. It's also quite nice on some of those cold, damp winter days not having to wait 10 minutes or so between shots while the smoke clears.

I still enjoy the full BP experience with its associated noise, smell and sometimes unreliable ignition etc, but I feel there is certainly a place for these nitro conversions especially when the alternative might be to give up shooting large pistol calibre pistols altogether.

As said in an earlier post, I have no issues with cleaning my revolvers after use and spend as much time cleaning the nitro conversion as the BP revolver,but its sometimes nice no to be faced with the immediacy required with traditional BP revolvers.

It's also worth noting that Nitro Conversion revolvers are eligible for use at the "Repeating Pistol Meetings" organised by the Surrey Branch of the MLAGB in conjunction with The South London Rifle Club at Bisley.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 09-10-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    It's also worth noting that Nitro Conversion revolvers are also eligible for use at the "Repeating Pistol Meetings" organised by the Surrey Branch of the MLAGB in conjunction with The South London Rifle Club at Bisley. Brian
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarificatementation. Still only UK, though...

Ah, gotcha.......A not-busy gun club sounds like going to a rock concert and finding that you are the only one there. Still, each to his/her own, eh?
    Well I have to say that after three hours this morning of looking after newbies, dishing out rifles, cleaning jammy rifles and selling ammo, a couple of hours on my own with my Musketoon was total bliss. I did learn though that shooting a Musketoon two days after having a lower right 5 molar removed is probably not a good idea!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarificatementation. Still only UK, though...
    Hello tacfoley,

As travelling with firearms outside the UK can be problematical, its not really a problem even if eligible competitions were organised abroad.
    I understand the MLAGB initiative has been taken to encourage the use of all types of muzzle loading revolver in competition with the possibility of postal entries to follow.
    Brian

Well I have to say that after three hours this morning of looking after newbies, dishing out rifles, cleaning jammy rifles and selling ammo, a couple of hours on my own with my Musketoon was total bliss. I did learn though that shooting a Musketoon two days after having a lower right 5 molar removed is probably not a good idea!
    No range officer with you?

Tut tut........

No range officer with you?

Tut tut........
    You run your club your way and we will do the same!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Agree with this. While I am aware that some clubs have a rule prohibiting lone shooting, not all do and even Bisley seem happy to allow lone shooters. Anyway how many vermin shooters have an RO with them?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I don't run my club, I just abide by its rules. I guess you just have to walk around with your gun all the time. Oh, wait, you are shooting indoors, so you can just lock the door, right? We don't shoot BP indoors, y'see.