Thread: 5.42mm lead balls anyone?

5.42mm lead balls anyone?

Hi all,
    Bought a lovely old repeating Rifle recently that came with a handful of lead balls that measure 5,42mm (with digital verniers) and they are perfect, but I only have a few left.
    I think they may be H&N but I can’t find any for sale anywhere.

I bought a few tins of Gamo .22 lead balls that measure 5.48mm but they are too tight in the barrel.

If anyone has any 5.42’s anywhere I could buy I’d be very grateful, even if it’s only half a tins worth.

Many thanks,
    Matt

bbs

Our sponsor sells the 4.4s Matt,, JS Ramsbottom. I use H&N Excite Smart Shot BBs in my fairground rifles as the rifles are 4.4mm, They know it says 4.5 on the tin but are quite a bit smaller.. Odd calibres, Maybe they have something for your rifle, Col.

Have a look at this article even though they are pellets as it has a few interesting bits on how much of a variation there is in batches.. Col.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...topic=151990.0
    Last edited by colin g; 29-06-2020 at 10:44 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    TT size lead shot is around 5.3mm, so maybe worth seeing if you can find ?

Well worth calling Protek to register your interest, they'll probably find some
    Last edited by Shed tuner; 30-06-2020 at 06:00 AM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Clay & game reloaders do a good selection of shot of all sizes.

If you find any, post on here where they come from...
    I have been looking for some for an Excellent Gevaret rifle for several years. I too believe H&N made them. Maybe 8 or 10 years ago I was in Norway near Lillesand and there was a gun shop there that said they sometimes had them but had none at that time. Just my luck. Then a chap in Holland said he could send me some but I never heard from him again ...
    It is possible to 'roll' size 5.5mm pellets but that would not solve a repeater issue. Or I made a simple 5.4mm sizer for 5.5mm pellets but these fixes are a bit of a hassle.
    Good luck with your search.
    Cheers, Phil

Hi Guys,
    No joy so far.

Protek get asked all the time but don’t have any or know where to get them.
    J. Ramsbottom only do the Gamo ones in .22
    Clay and game only do 5.1mm shot and said TT is an American sizing that isn’t that widely used, especially in the UK.

I’ll post on here if I find anything suitable.

Cheers,
    Matt

What about lead shot used for fishing, try a tackle shop ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac View Post
    What about lead shot used for fishing, try a tackle shop ?
    I think fishing shot has a split or hole in it for attaching to the line...

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    If you find any, post on here where they come from...
    I have been looking for some for an Excellent Gevaret rifle for several years. I too believe H&N made them. Maybe 8 or 10 years ago I was in Norway near Lillesand and there was a gun shop there that said they sometimes had them but had none at that time. Just my luck. Then a chap in Holland said he could send me some but I never heard from him again ...
    It is possible to 'roll' size 5.5mm pellets but that would not solve a repeater issue. Or I made a simple 5.4mm sizer for 5.5mm pellets but these fixes are a bit of a hassle.
    Good luck with your search.
    Cheers, Phil
    Hi Phil,

The late great Gerald Cardew made me a pellet sizer for my Excellent and I seem to recall it worked very well with sized down Marksman.

Matt,

You may want to try one of the large German retailers such as Sport Waffen - you never know.

Kind regards,

John