Thread: Gamo Compact experience

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    [QUOTE=CB200;8107322]
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    [I]

That’s an interesting insight, thanks BnB. I’m sure it is mostly about skill and technique etc, providing one has
    a decent pistol to start with!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I'm one of the old school who started in 1972 using a FWB 65, and shot nationally and internationally with it.

I have kept all my pistols from that 65, through FAS 604, Walther CP1, Walther LPM-1, finishing with Steyr LP2 compact, and LP50e Compact.

Oh yes, PCP's are so much easier to use, but are the scores any better? Hmmmm, maybe not, good technique is far more important, I shot with Ragnar Skanaker, at the early Intershoot's in Holland, he also used to come over for the bigger BPC shoots at Bisley, and was most entertaining.

His technique was total laid back, he'd do a few shots, wander off and have a chat with the RO, a laugh and a joke, shoot a few more cards, stop and have a cigarette, and continue, and still get top score, good old days, before the jobsworths moved in!

I was also privileged to see Nina Stolyarova shoot 392 ex 400 at London in the 1975 European championships in London.

She swept into the hall, like a superstar, wearing a leopard skin coat that was dragging on the floor, made out of real leopards (no PC then!), dropped the coat on the floor, pulled this scruffy plastic grip FWB 65 out of a case, and then just gave a smiling masterclass! It was a Ladies world record that stood up to the PCP era in the 90's, when a Chinese girl put one point on it!!!

Shoot what you enjoy, you'll love a PCP, but the Gamo will not hold you back for along while!
    Have Fun
    Robin
    Thanks for your reply Robin. It’s wonderful to hear about your colourful experiences with top
    Athletes (not withstanding yourself of course) from the past - thank you for sharing. I’m sure other readers are happy to hear more - as I am too!

I’d also be grateful for any advice you could give to a 61 year old newbie! (5 months of 10m air pistol).

Cb200,
    congratulations, sounds like you are progressing well.I think you should be pleased with the way things are going. Keep practicing, but don't over do it.

If you get to a club hopefully they will have an active coaching program you might want to get involved in. Usually there are some experienced shooters who are only took willing to offer help & advice, but it seems as if you are acquiring a good solid base that you can consolidate & move on from.

Hope you continue to feel the reward from your efforts & enjoy your shooting

Ps look forward to hearing how your next 60 go.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Cb200,
    congratulations, sounds like you are progressing well.I think you should be pleased with the way things are going. Keep practicing, but don't over do it.

If you get to a club hopefully they will have an active coaching program you might want to get involved in. Usually there are some experienced shooters who are only took willing to offer help & advice, but it seems as if you are acquiring a good solid base that you can consolidate & move on from.

Hope you continue to feel the reward from your efforts & enjoy your shooting

Ps look forward to hearing how your next 60 go.
    Thanks for the encouragement Trajectory, it’s appreciated. I don’t think I will overdue it, I get bored after 20 mins of dry firing - it’s not called dry for nothing!
    Hopefully I’ll get to a club in the not too distant future and benefit from some experienced folk, as you say.
    Roll on the 15th haha!

I haven't practiced with my Gamo Compact for a while so I fired a few shots with it today. I really rather like it, but I don't know if it's lack of practice with it or if I had just forgotten ......but it's really fidly loading a wadcutter pellet into the barrel in that confined space. Maybe I need to shoot it a bit more often.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    I haven't practiced with my Gamo Compact for a while so I fired a few shots with it today. I really rather like it, but I don't know if it's lack of practice with it or if I had just forgotten ......but it's really fidly loading a wadcutter pellet into the barrel in that confined space. Maybe I need to shoot it a bit more often.
    It is fiddly, but you’ll get used to it again if you persevere.

Quote Originally Posted by CB200 View Post
    It is fiddly, but you’ll get used to it again if you persevere.
    I think you are right, bit of practice needed. Once again the kit isn't the limiting factor, it's the human!

I couldn’t wait until the 15th to do my next 60 shot, so I did it yesterday: not as much as I’d hoped, but I did break the 500 barrier with 506. I’m going to do a 60 shot every 2 weeks now, just to get used to doing a ‘match’, albeit by myself.

I’d be hoping to upgrade to another pistol this year (hopefully get to at least 520/530 with the Gamo first).
    I need a pistol that is as ‘quiet’ as the Gamo, as I shoot indoors, and I need to consider other family members. I don’t mind whether used or new, although weight might be a consideration as I’m 61. I would also need a dry fire function. Those requirements might narrow it down a bit! Any advice would be appreciated - thank you.