Quote Originally Posted by CB200 View Post
I couldn’t wait until the 15th to do my next 60 shot, so I did it yesterday: not as much as I’d hoped, but I did break the 500 barrier with 506. I’m going to do a 60 shot every 2 weeks now, just to get used to doing a ‘match’, albeit by myself.

IÂ’d be hoping to upgrade to another pistol this year (hopefully get to at least 520/530 with the Gamo first).
I need a pistol that is as ‘quiet’ as the Gamo, as I shoot indoors, and I need to consider other family members. I don’t mind whether used or new, although weight might be a consideration as I’m 61. I would also need a dry fire function. Those requirements might narrow it down a bit! Any advice would be appreciated - thank you.
Firstly, sounds like your enthusiasm is being rewarded which is really good. Increasing to 60 a fortnight seems a reasonable step to me if your 'fitness' level progresses it's likely you will be able to cope with all the rigours that go with it such as maintaining your concentration level. As you know it's not all physical.

Secondly, recommendations or suggestions on pistol upgrading. That's not so easy, some will be able to offer advice regarding kit they own or have used which can be helpful but it's not to say that it will be the same for you. Possibly the advice I would offer is along the lines of don't rush into anything, there is no real urgency to it although the desire might be great the actual need might not be so great, keep in mind the Gamo will probably out shoot you for a while, but I know the trigger weight is higher than you wish but even so I'd advise not rushing things. If you can get to a club, hopefully they might have a couple of club pistols you can try. Hopefully not Compacts, but it's a possibility. Sometimes other shooters will let you borrow their pistol for a few shots or at least let you feel the handling, balance & general properties. Then maybe you can begin to make a list of possible choices or at least features you want in your prospective purchase. Personally I sometimes think CO2 powered pistols are a little noisy, they seem to have a bit of a crack, not sure if its barrel length (don't think so) gas expansion characteristics or what, maybe it's a frequency thing? Not sure. However at a range, maybe with acoustic padding etc or a larger size room than at home it might seem a bit quieter & could be a bit noisier at home. Might be a consideration? PCP can go with a fair pop too, & you need to think about now you want to refill the cylinders too with a PCP. CO2 is fairly straightforward & fairly convenient but temperature & shot count are issues you need to consider.

CO2 fell out of favour when PCP came on the scene for all sorts of reasons for top end match competition, but for social competition shooting maybe it's a possibility. You might not think the noise is an issue, it's just my take on things & that's why I suggest you get to go & have a look & a try with as many types as you can. It's your choice but I think you will make a better decision once you have as much information as you can get from practical experience.

Does that help? Probably not, but it's one persons take on the question?

Atb