Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrono Slayer

Chrono Slayer

Well, my Polish R2 chrono is no more.

She lasted a few years and died of a BB impact just above the shooting aperture. I'd like to say this is the first Chrono I have killed but it's not. It just happened to be the best I've owned, so I'm kicking myself.

This has probably been asked before but is there anyone on the forum that may be able to resurrect her? The display lights up but not with characters but a load of rainbow colours and shadows

I should have been more careful. What a prize muppet.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    it sounds like you have just killed the display ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Is it this one?

https://youtu.be/G5vx2N5P5wk

(screen replacement video).

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Yes Chris, that's the one and I think so Jon. No idea if any of the circuitry behind the screen was damaged as I'm no expert at taking these things apart. It was recording velocities of between 300 and 350 FPS with copper coated lead ball before the fatal shot.

How easy is it to get hold of a fresh display like the one in the video or is there someone on here that can bring it back to life as I fear I'd damage it even more if my ham fisted hands started taking the chrono to bits?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Once it's apart (screws and mini plugs) pretty much any component inside will have a part number (lcd display almost 100%) and can then be tracked down, for probably a couple of quid, on AliExpress (or the like).

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Thank you Chris,

I had no idea if the parts could be easily obtained and I think you've answered that one as it sounds very interchangeable.

I just need to pluck up the courage to take it apart now.

John

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

I just need to pluck up the courage to take it apart now.

John
    well, you've started already..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Who now holds the title of chrono slayer You John or John Baz ? And being named John as well, I think I'll stave off using my chrono for a while
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Who now holds the title of chrono slayer You John or John Baz ? And being named John as well, I think I'll stave off using my chrono for a while
    Probably a good idea John.

So far over the space of some 25 years, I've killed a Skan, 2 Combros and now the R2. All at point blank range, so I can't even blame poor marksmanship.

I probably should not be allowed within a mile of any chrono.

John.

Well if we had a chrono slayer club you would have a waiting list to join, a long one at that.😊
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    Well if we had a chrono slayer club you would have a waiting list to join, a long one at that.😊
    Well, that makes me feel slightly better!

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    There are shooters who have killed a chrono and thare are shooters who are going to kill a chrono. The only shooters who will never kill a chrono are the shooters who will never use a chrono.

Back to your problem:

As it stands the device is dead so you have nothing to lose by attempting to fix it. It is a made thing so it was put together and will come apart, but there is no point in taking it apart if you cannot get parts for it so the best place to start is to first establish if you can get the parts.

From what you describe then at least the lcd display is smashed and there is no way to repair that, it will have to be replaced.

You could start by asking these folk

https://lmbr.pl/
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    There are shooters who have killed a chrono and thare are shooters who are going to kill a chrono. The only shooters who will never kill a chrono are the shooters who will never use a chrono.

Back to your problem:

As it stands the device is dead so you have nothing to lose by attempting to fix it. It is a made thing so it was put together and will come apart, but there is no point in taking it apart if you cannot get parts for it so the best place to start is to first establish if you can get the parts.

From what you describe then at least the lcd display is smashed and there is no way to repair that, it will have to be replaced.

You could start by asking these folk

https://lmbr.pl/
    Yep, that all makes sense. I've nothing to lose by taking it apart to see if there's a part number on the LCD screen, which I may be able to order as has been previously suggested. The makers are also a good option.

Kind regards,

John

Stick a few mm of this stuff in front of it with a bit of space behind so it can deform when you shoot it. A lot cheaper than a new chrono. You can bend it with heat.

https://www.directplastics.co.uk/polycarbonate-sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_SwampThing View Post
    Once it's apart (screws and mini plugs) pretty much any component inside will have a part number (lcd display almost 100%) and can then be tracked down, for probably a couple of quid, on AliExpress (or the like).

Atb
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

I was able to take the chrono to bits as shown in the video but cannot see any numbers on the LCD display. There are numbers on the circuit board to which the LCD display was fixed - are these the numbers you mean?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X5b13kC3fWvtbCF58

EDIT: I've googled the CBC number and found some Polish stockists as I could not see the screen on AliExpress. Now I just need to see if they'll post to the U.K.

Kind regards,

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 06-11-2022 at 07:29 PM.