Thread: Bsa magnum 240

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You're a teacher? I hope you don't teach English! Your punctuation leaves a lot to be desired.

"As regard the Audi...sorry I own one. Britain has never built a better regular production hatch....ill rest my case there if your the type that's going to argue against that."

What does the fact that Britain has never built a better "regular production hatch" have to do with all this? Nothing, that's what. I'm not going to argue that, so don't make assumptions or put words into my mouth. All I said was that Audis, BMWs and Mercedes are technically very good cars, but they leave me cold, that is to say I find them a bit bland and lacking something, character, style or graceful design? Hard to say, but I find this with many German products including airguns. Take the ME109... A technically superb aeroplane, but does it have the grace or charisma of the Spitfire? No. I often write with a Rotring pen, it's a technically good, reliable pen, but it has none of the style of a classic Parker. For what it's worth I actually drive a VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) car myself. It's a good, reliable, very practical car but it will never tug someone's heartstrings like a Jaguar or Aston Martin might. So what?

My post was not a "partial climb down" at all. I was hoping that we could agree to disagree amicably on this, since all I ever said was basically "While I accept it has its faults, and I accept that the HW45 is better in some ways, I prefer the 240 Magnum" and I maintain that. Some aspects of the 240 Magnum's design are better, you said yourself it looks better, and aesthetics are an important aspect of design. So, in some ways the 240 is the better gun... In other ways, maybe more ways, the HW45 is the better gun. Different people will choose different guns based on their differing criteria and preferences. You're happy that you made the best choice, choosing the HW45... Fine. I'm happy choosing the 240 Magnum, also fine, for me. I accept that it has some faults, so does the HW45, but I'm still happy with my choice as you can be happy with yours.

Your point about price is also specious... I am not agreeing with you that twenty or thirty quid was the price difference between the two pistols when they were both on sale new, but the fact that twenty or thirty quid may not be a lot to you is utterly immaterial. The fact is, as you concede, "you get what you pay for".

Sheesh... You're looking for an argument where there isn't one mate... Still, maybe you're "the type that's going to argue against that" and will keep on trying to get a win out of this... There's really no need. Why can't you agree to disagree amicably as I am prepared to do?
    Last edited by Rob M; 11-10-2013 at 07:24 AM.