A fascinating set of comments, thank you. Clearly some people are still at the top of their game, and that is very impressive but I do wonder what will happen as the years go by. I tend to think that everyone is on their own 'performance declining curve' but that the curve is different for different people. Many are acknowledging their decline and Herx 77 comments are particularly apt; I guess I am only a few months behind you in the age stakes.
I do not, however, think that the standard of shooting was better in the 80s. Yes, technology has improved but you have to take into account the fact that target and course specifications have also changed. I wonder how many people would not agree that a UKAHFT course is now more difficult due to smaller kill zones etc than it was 20 years ago? I do not know about FT. Harder courses with smaller kill zones and terrible but impressive use of 'range traps' could well be affecting the scores of older competitors as their eyesight begins to play tricks on them.
Grow old gracefully is clearly the thing to do.
Cheers, Phil